In the last post (EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE: Part 3a – Individual First Aid Kit) I went over the IFAK purpose and the contents of the BOK which is part of the IFAK but a bit different because it is carried on you all the time. Of course this means when in the field not in everyday life. Well, I guess that depends on what you do in everyday life now doesn’t it.
Review the Mission of the IFAK –
1. To return the person to activity without additional immediate medical care, or,
2. To provide sufficient care that allows them to self-mobilize to more advanced medical treatment, or,
3. To prevent death by bleeding.
Your Individual First Aid Kit is worn on your person when in the field. It can be attached to a MOLLE vest, any belt, etc. The carrier needs to be sufficiently large enough to carry all the kit contents but small enough to not get in the way. It must be able to stand up against hard field use as well as rough weather conditions. I suggest the military MOLLE 1-quart canteen cover.
- Designed to hold 1 Quart US Military .
- Heavy duty water repellent, puncture & tear resistant Cordura nylon material (1000 Denier Nylon).
- Quick Release Buckle.
- Two small side pockets for miscellaneous items.
- Internal drawstring with cord lock.
- Stress point reinforced stitching.
- Attaches to MOLLE System or belt.
- Measures 6.5″ x 4.5″ x 3″
• Dressing, First Aid, Camouflaged, 11 ¾” x 11 ¾” Sterile : NSN# 6510-00-20107425 – Fraass Survival Systems
• Dressing, First Aid, Camouflaged, 4” x 7”, Sterile : NSN# 6510-00-159-4883 – Elwyn Inc.
• Dressing, Trauma Wound, 4”, Sterile, (a.k.a. Israeli Battle Dressing) : NSN# 6510-01-558-4108 – Performance Systems
• Quick Clot Silver, Blood coagulant, 25 gram
• 35 x Ibuprofen (or other pain reliever) [pouch side pocket]
• 3 x Celox Hemostatic Agent (optional) [pouch side pocket]
• 3 x Germ-X Hand Sanitizing Wipes (optional) [pouch side pocket]
Note #2: If you are going to be in a “grid-down” situation or anytime you might be subjected to being shot (i.e. hunting), then I would consider adding a HALO Chest Seal – High Performance Occlusive Dressing NSN# 6510-01-581-0553 by Progressive Medical. The package comes with two seals for entry and exits holes.
IFAK Kit Content Description –
Dressing, First Aid, Camouflaged, 11 ¾” x 11 ¾” : This bandage is classified as a medium for larger wounds such as intestinal or larger areas of burns, etc. Dressing comes with 4 ties and are very absorbent (1 unit of blood).
Dressing, First Aid, Camouflaged, 4” x 7” : This bandage is classified as a small for wounds such as gunshot or cuts smaller than 6” in length They come with 2 ties and safety pins.
Dressing, Trauma Wound, 4” (a.k.a. Israeli Battle Dressing) : This bandage is classified as small for wounds such as gunshot or cuts smaller than 4” in length. This bandage can be applied with one hand, has an easy securing device, and can be used as a tourniquet. Probably the single best wound dressing that I have ever seen. It is used extensively by the military and has a wide range of injury applications.
Quick Clot, 25 gram : Quick Clot is hemostatic agent sponge that stops/slows bleeding. There is the added antibacterial advantage of ionic silver. Silver acts to prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi which can be especially important if medical care is not immediately available. Remember – You must stop the bleeding! Quick Clot adds a huge advantage to getting even severe bleeding stopped.
In the side pockets of the IFAK carrier I place –
Ibuprofen : Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body. It is used for the management of mild to moderate pain, fever, and inflammation.
Celox : Celox is simple to use and highly effective. CELOX granules quickly control even the most severe arterial bleeding. Just pour it in, pack it, and apply pressure. No specific training is required.
CELOX clots blood fast, works in hypothermic conditions and also clots blood containing heparin or warfarin. CELOX does not generate heat in use and won’t burn. Celox is safe to use for the entire body including head, neck and chest wounds.
Germ-X Wipes : Kills 99.99% of Germs. Used for sanitizing hands or surfaces such as around wound areas. No, I don’t believe in bottles of hand sanitizer for a medical kit, they leak.
I also add…
Caffeine : Caffeine Maximum Potency 200mg Tablets by ProLab These will help me stay awake when it is absolutely necessary. Before you decide to use caffeine read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. This is just telling you what I do, NOT what you should do.
Look for my next post where I will go over EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE: Part 4 – Team First Aid Kit (TFAK).
Copyright © A.H. Trimble.com ~ All rights reserved No reproduction or other use of this content without expressed written permission from AHTrimble.com See Content Use Policy for more information.