I have been trying to find a wide assortment of accessories for Baofeng UV-5RA radios. The UV-5RA is a great radio, very affordable, and really useful for preppers. One of the challenges of any handheld radio is transmission/reception range. Another issue is trying to keep a low profile and not letting everyone and their brother know that you have a radio.
So there are actually two missions here –
“Increase the operational range of the radio and reduce its profile.”
The Aweek UV-108UV is a very good answer to both of those challenges.
- 6.6″ Wide
- Dual-Band (70cm & 2m)
- High Gain
- SMA-Female connector
- 30′ cable
Now let’s see what the antenna does for the radio, the SWR readings are:
So here are the ways that you can use the Aweek UV-108UV:
- Vehicle mounted, no external antenna is visible.
- Vehicle mounted, low profile external antenna, low profile.
- Building antenna, no external antenna, mounted against window.
- Building mounted, external antenna, mounted on roof ridge, etc.
- Field use, thrown over tree limb, light post, roof rafter, etc.
For under $12 you have a very versatile dual-band antenna that is a great match for your Baofeng UV-5RA radio. Yes, you can use this antenna with other models of radios. I attached my to my Yaesu FT-8800R using an adapter. Like this…
This is a great all round antenna that gives you yet another operational option for your communications. I like it and I use it.
A for sure “BUY!”
I own a couple just in case I get one caught in a tree and have to leave it. I can also cache one in an area where I am pretty sure I will need to operate. I definitely carry one in my GOOD BOB. I’ve also added it to the emergency radio cache used by my church’s emergency response folks.
- Baofeng UV-5RA handheld radio
- Antenna SWR rating comparison chart
- GOOD BOB (get out of dodge – bug out bag)
- Emergency Radio Cache
Copyright © AHTrimble.com ~ All rights reserved No reproduction or other use of this content without expressed written permission from AHTrimble.com See Content Use Policy for more information.