I decided early on that Anderson Powerpole connectors was the standard that I wanted to adopt for all my Ham radio uses. Then I decided that it made sense to use them for all my electronic and solar applications. Now that is and was a smart decision. But the story has just a little more background.
So I figure I know what I am doing with all this stuff coz I am some big shot prepper, electrical, handyman type person. I am using pliers and wire crimpers, etc. making up my Anderson Powerpoles. And the crimp and connections “looked” like junk, pure rookie. But I had saved $40 by not buying the specialized crimper tool! Surely it wasn’t worth the money!
Man, was I wrong!
Buy this crimper! spend the $40 for this tool! It is worth a whole lot more than just $40.
Seriously, the first time I used this tool and made my first pair of Powerpoles I knew I finally made a great decision because now my Powerpoles looked great, were solid as a rock and no “re-do’s” of filed connectors.
There are different heads you can purchase to use with the Tricrimper if you want to go that way. To me those are far less important that making professional Powerpole connectors. This tool is worth every single penny! I just wish I would have bought it in the very beginning. I would have saved a whole lot of time, a whole lot of frustration, and life would have been considerably better just spending the $40 and moving on.
Buy this product !
Here’s the information on the Tricrimp from their website…
The TRIcrimp® crimping tool was exclusively designed to provide a positive crimp on the 15, 30 & 45 amp contacts manufactured by Anderson Power Products for the Powerpole® line of products. It has the following features.
- Crimps all three sizes of Powerpole® contacts; 15, 30 and 45 amp
- Built-in contact positioner that holds the contact during crimping
- Ratchet mechanism assures proper crimps every time
- Far faster and better than soldering
- Provides the highest strength and the lowest resistance connections possible
- Dimensions: 7.75″ X 3″ X 1.5″
- Weight: 20 ounces
- High Contact retention force
Contacts & Jaw Position
The 3 contacts have different amp ratings:
- 15 Amp (SKU: 1332) is designed to receive 16, 18 and 20 gauge wire.
- 30 Amp (SKU: 1331) is designed to receive 12, 14 gauge wire.
- 45 Amp (SKU: 261G2) is designed to receive 10 gauge wire.
The contact size corresponds to the position marking on the die. The 15 amp contact goes into the 15 amp position, the 30 amp into the 30 position, and 45 amp into the 45 position.